In a recent news, a 34-storey casino in Atlantic City, once owned by former US President Donald Trump was demolished and people paid up to Rs 40,000 to watch.
The casino and the former Trump Plaza hotel had been closed since 2014. Since then, the building had deteriorated so much that chunks were falling off.
The casino and the hotel were once the ceown jewel of Donald Trump’s Atlantic city empire. Back in the day, it was a hotspot for some of the biggest Hollywood celebrities.
“The way we put Trump Plaza and the city of Atlantic City on the map for the whole world was really incredible. Everyone from Hulk Hogan to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, it was the whole gamut of personalities,” Bernie Dillon, events manager at the casino from 1984 to 1991, told Huffington Post.
On Wednesday morning, at around 9.08 AM. the establishment was demolished using controlled explosions.
Following the destruction, many commented on social media saying it was the end of a 74-year-old reign in the city.
Interestingly, the demolition of the building was highly promoted on the internet and on various social media platforms, with websites sharing links on how to watch the event live.
That’s not all that happened. Many Trump detractors even paid money for ‘front row’ seats to watch the demolition of the casino.
According to reports, the seats were actioned to the highest bidders with proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Club of Atlantic City.
A spectator who paid nearly $575 (Rs 41,000) to watch the implosion from a nearby pier told New York Times it was the end of a not-so-great era’.
“It’s an end of a not-so-great era. It’s symbolic for sure. Him. Everything ending,” she said.